Skip to main content

Fudge With Leftover Rice (No Fancy Ingredients)


fudge
Burfi is a tasty sweet relished across the country.

What about a burfi/fudge with leftover rice?

Seriously, I am not kidding.

Leftover rice is usually a big headache in many homes, especially in India, where we do not want to throw away anything.

So what about making a fudge with leftover rice?

Since I have imposed a complete ban on outside food in my house (sweets, snacks included), I certainly have to work little harder to do the needful myself, especially if we experience cravings for sweets or snacks (which is of course rare).
Today, I was churning out paneer (cottage cheese) and suddenly decided to experiment with a sweet.

Once milk curdled to form paneer, leaving a good amount of whey, I decided to use just 2 tbsp of paneer for my experiment along with half of the whey, removing the rest in a different utensil.








I frequently stirred whey and paneer and then decided to
add some leftover rice (2 tbsp).
Then I added 1 tbsp of milk powder to it, 1 tsp of cream (malai), and 2 tbsp of ground fresh coconut. I added 1 tsp of sugar. At this stage, you may want to add little milk. I added 1 tsbp of it..

I kept stirring until the whey or water evaporated and the entire mixture came together. I tried to mash rice in between since I did not want hubby to know that I have used leftover rice as well. I think it will be a good idea to grind the entire mixture so that the rice is not visible if you aren't able to mash it well. (In my case, though I wasn't able grind rice well, hubby still didn't realize the sweet included rice as an ingredient :)

Then took out the mixture on a greased aluminum foil. Grated a few almonds using a grater over the mixture and pressed it with a heavy utensil for 30 minutes.
After half an hour, the mixture was set and I could cut it into pieces.

When it was time to give it to hubby, I was wondering how he would react to the new experiment. But I am glad he was super thrilled and very happy with the result. The best part he didn't even realize I had added leftover rice to the recipe. Happy me.

Burfi Ingredients:
2 tbsp paneer (cottage cheese)
2 tbsp grated coconut
2 tbsp leftover parboiled rice
1 tbsp milk powder (you may add more to enhance the taste)
1 tsp cream or malai
1 tbsp milk
3 tbsp - whey (well it is just an idea, since I don't know the accurate measurement)
Green cardamom
1/2 tsp sugar (as per taste)


I am sure you will love this recipe - gives a taste of khoya, coconut. The most important part it is light & sweet with the right amount of leftovers. Is there a better way to use leftovers?


Feedback on the leftover rice fudge by Satinder Wadhwa aunty :

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Fermented Rice Healthy? How Do You Ferment Rice [Odisha's Pakhala Bhaat Recipe]

 What is the meaning Pakhala bhaat? Is Pakhala good for health? Is fermented rice healthy?  Or in other words, does curd rice have b12? These are some of the questions that have been asked every now and then. So in this video from the Odia cuisine, I present to you Odisha special Pakhala - the ancient Odia tradition of fermenting rice. Now coming back to making Pakhala at home. I dedicate this video to my mother-in-law, who has taught me some simple ways to ferment rice with and without curd.  The idea is to cook rice in water, primarily you will need to boil rice in a lot of water. Drain off excess water and let the rice come to room temperature. Then mix it with curd, salt, and water and store in an earthen clay pot. Since we want to ferment rice, the idea is to leave it overnight at room temperature - ideally in a cool location, which is not too hot.  By next morning, the rice should have fermented - teeming with colonies of healthy bacteria. If you use brown rice...

Is Tandoori roti good for health [NO, it Isn't But I eat soft oil-free wheat tandoori chapatis daily]

Tandoori roti is delicious and quite addictive too, but is it good for your health?Is there something called tandoori roti health risk? Yes and no.  Yes, if you order it outside.  What is tandoori roti made up of? The reason these Indian flatbreads have earned a bad reputation is that they are made with maida or refined flour, which is only empty calories. Then they use dalda or hydrogenated fat to make the roti soft. remember, tandoori roti is an addiction and I am addicted to it but one made at home with wholesome ingredients.  How to make tandoori roti at home At home, making quick tandoori roti on tawa is a breeze!   so here's how I do it to avoid all the health risks associated with restaurant tandoori roti. we can easily make soft atta tandoori roti on tawa too. yes, tandoor cooking is good but maida isn't.  start by adding water to a bowl. throw in methi powder and flaxmeal. You can skip both if you want. but I suggest adding the two ingredients in y...

Soaking turns pumpkin seeds water green | Is it SAFE?

 Pumpkin seeds cause water to develop a green tint mainly because they contain chlorophyll, the natural pigment that gives plants their green color. This phenomenon occurs through several interconnected processes that involve the seed's cellular structure and pigment composition. Raw pumpkin seeds, particularly the hulled green varieties commonly known as pepitas, contain significant amounts of chlorophyll. This is the same compound responsible for photosynthesis in plants and creates the distinctive green appearance in leaves, stems, and other plant tissues. The chlorophyll concentration in pumpkin seeds is naturally high since these seeds develop within the green interior of the pumpkin. When pumpkin seeds are soaked in water, their cellular walls begin to soften and break down gradually. This process allows water molecules to penetrate the seed structure and extract various compounds, including pigments. Although chlorophyll isn't completely water-soluble in its pure chemica...