Skip to main content

Palak Dal (Spinach Lentils Gravy)

dal palak
Call it palak dal or dal palak, or even spinach dal, this healthy, flavorful, and rich gravy is going to be a hit in your family. This is my mom's recipe, though I have never tried it. Since these days I am with mom, I have learned the dal palak recipe from her.

Simple, sumptuous, yet filling, palak dal Punjabi style is a bowl full of health. I have enjoyed this blend of spinach and lentils during childhood, but never had the curiosity to learn. But those days are long gone; now I am eager to learn and unlearn things that add value to my life and profile.

Yes, I want to learn healthiest ways of cooking food, for I am a health freak.

This dal palak recipe was made on demand - mom made it one day and then next time, I was curious enough to learn how to make this simple yet scrumptious blend of lentils and spinach.

Let's see how mom makes it:

Palak Chana Dal Ingredients
1/4 cup- chana dal
1/4 moong dal (yellow lentils)
1 bunch of palak (spinach)
1 tbsp or more - ginger
8-10 garlic cloves
2 onions
1 tbsp ghee
1 green chilly or more
salt, turmeric

Palak Moong Dal Procedure
palak dal


  1. Wash spinach thoroughly and keep it aside.
  2. Next wash both dals and soak them for half an hour.
  3. Mix spinach, dals, salt, haldi, garlic, ginger and add enough water to soak everything. We do not want dal palak to be too runny. It will be a thick gravy.
  4. Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles. Let the mixture cool down.
  5. Blend everything in a processor.
  6. Take oil/ghee in a pan.
  7. Add green chilly and chopped onions and keep stirring until they turn little brownish.
  8. Add dal palak and mix.
  9. Check for salt. Let it cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
  10. Enjoy with fulka/roti/Indian flat bread.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is Fermented Rice Healthy? How Do You Ferment Rice [Odisha's Pakhala Bhaat Recipe]

 What is the meaning Pakhala bhaat? Is Pakhala good for health? Is fermented rice healthy?  Or in other words, does curd rice have b12? These are some of the questions that have been asked every now and then. So in this video from the Odia cuisine, I present to you Odisha special Pakhala - the ancient Odia tradition of fermenting rice. Now coming back to making Pakhala at home. I dedicate this video to my mother-in-law, who has taught me some simple ways to ferment rice with and without curd.  The idea is to cook rice in water, primarily you will need to boil rice in a lot of water. Drain off excess water and let the rice come to room temperature. Then mix it with curd, salt, and water and store in an earthen clay pot. Since we want to ferment rice, the idea is to leave it overnight at room temperature - ideally in a cool location, which is not too hot.  By next morning, the rice should have fermented - teeming with colonies of healthy bacteria. If you use brown rice...

Is Tandoori roti good for health [NO, it Isn't But I eat soft oil-free wheat tandoori chapatis daily]

Tandoori roti is delicious and quite addictive too, but is it good for your health?Is there something called tandoori roti health risk? Yes and no.  Yes, if you order it outside.  What is tandoori roti made up of? The reason these Indian flatbreads have earned a bad reputation is that they are made with maida or refined flour, which is only empty calories. Then they use dalda or hydrogenated fat to make the roti soft. remember, tandoori roti is an addiction and I am addicted to it but one made at home with wholesome ingredients.  How to make tandoori roti at home At home, making quick tandoori roti on tawa is a breeze!   so here's how I do it to avoid all the health risks associated with restaurant tandoori roti. we can easily make soft atta tandoori roti on tawa too. yes, tandoor cooking is good but maida isn't.  start by adding water to a bowl. throw in methi powder and flaxmeal. You can skip both if you want. but I suggest adding the two ingredients in y...

Soaking turns pumpkin seeds water green | Is it SAFE?

 Pumpkin seeds cause water to develop a green tint mainly because they contain chlorophyll, the natural pigment that gives plants their green color. This phenomenon occurs through several interconnected processes that involve the seed's cellular structure and pigment composition. Raw pumpkin seeds, particularly the hulled green varieties commonly known as pepitas, contain significant amounts of chlorophyll. This is the same compound responsible for photosynthesis in plants and creates the distinctive green appearance in leaves, stems, and other plant tissues. The chlorophyll concentration in pumpkin seeds is naturally high since these seeds develop within the green interior of the pumpkin. When pumpkin seeds are soaked in water, their cellular walls begin to soften and break down gradually. This process allows water molecules to penetrate the seed structure and extract various compounds, including pigments. Although chlorophyll isn't completely water-soluble in its pure chemica...