Skip to main content

Odisha's Tomato Khajur Chutney in 5 Minutes


Yes, you have heard me right. I have been trying out Odiya dishes ever since I started to cook post-marriage. It is not long ago! The transformation has happened only recently. Before I was not into cooking - not keen to, nor interested in cooking. But hunger brings the best in you, and when your health matters, there can be no excuses. Eating outside is not the healthiest of choices, but earlier, this wasn;t the case in my case. I would save cooking time and instead utilize the same for my projects. Perhaps, I was wrong. Health comes first, and it has to come first. You cannot live a healthy life if you eat outside frequently. Anyway, let's come to this tomato dates chutney. Well, yes, this is a specialty from Odisha and Odiyas are foodie. They love their food, tradition, culture, and everything about their rituals. Hubby being an Odiya is no exception, when it comes to food. He is not into tradition and culture per se, so only he married a Punjabi kudi.
tomato khajur khatta - dates chutney

Layer, heat, mix, and mash - the atypical tomato chutney with dates sugarfree

Let's come back to the tomato khajur chutney. I have tried this chutney many times, without ever learning it from MIL or SIL, not even food groups.

Perhaps not!
The Odiya cuisine is thousands of years old. It is bursting with flavors - mustard is a must-use in Odiya recipes. My MIL always makes sure she adds garlic to almost every single recipe. Onions ,too, are a crucial part of the Odiya cuisine. Chutneys or khatta, as they call, are a quintessential part of the cuisine on my in-law's side. The foodies that Odiyas are love to indulge in everything "food." Their typical day starts with Jalakhiya (breakfast), then they have their madhyan bhojan (lunch), with sunset comes their tiffin time (evening snack time), and then before hitting the bed, it is their usual dinner.

tomato dates chutney Odisha - sugarfree chutney


The Odiya chutney promises to give you is :


  • lip-smacking
  • quick
  • one pot one shot
  • healthy
  • flavorful

Ingredients for tomato dates chutney

4 tomatoes
6-8 dates or more for  sweeter version (I like it sweet-cum-sour)
1 green chilly (optional)
1 small piece of ginger (I didn't add)
5-6 raisins
Black salt
Panch Phoron for tempering (a mix of cumin, black and yellow mustard, nigella, fenugreek)
Red chilly whole for tempering
4 tbsp- water (you may add little extra water if you want the chutney to be mushier)
1 tbsp-oil
black salt (I like to use rock salt in my chutneys- you may add common salt instead)
curry leaves - a few (optional)


How to make Tomato Khajur Khatta way

Chop tomatoes into small pieces.
Deseed dates. You may want to soak dates and raisins before using them. It's completely optional. I didn't soak.
Slit green chilly if you are using.
Take a 2 or 3-liter pressure cooker.
Add oil.
Throw in panch phoron.  If you want a paste-like consistency, then you may add panch phoron as a tempering later when other ingredients are cooked.
Drop tomatoes, raisins, dates, and green chilly.
Add black salt and curry leaves.
Add water without disturbing the layer.
Cover the lid and cook for 4 whistles.
Open the cooker after pressure settles in.
Mash the tomato khatta with a laddle. Enjoy healthy yummy chutney from Odisha.
You may choose to blend it in a mixie. If you decide to do so, please do not add the panch phoron initially and choose to temper the chutney with these 5 masalas. You may also add whole red chilly to the tempering. I have not added it.

I have modified the tomato khaur khatta recipe as per my taste. Odiyas add additional jaggery or sugar to make the khatta sweeter, but I prefer natural sweeteners and try to substitute white sugar or processed sweeteners with the same.


Chia Seeds Chutney: Instant Recipe for Homemakers


Chia seeds chutney recipe: Ingredients 1 onion, 3 tomatoes, 1/2 green chilly (optional), a few garlic cloves, 1 tsp oil, 2 tsp chia seeds, 1 tsp roasted flax seed powder/ flax meal, 1/4 tsp jaggery powder, salt....Layer with 1 tsp of oil, water, onion in the center and tomatoes and garlic around that, add the chia seeds above onions and then put a layer of flax meal...sprinkle salt and jaggery powder, ensuring it doesn't touch the bottom......3-4 whistles...little charring may be...open, mix and mash..grind..enjoy :)


Comments

  1. I have become a fan of this khatta mitha tomato chutney Ravneet..your recipe sounds similar to the ones made during Durga Puja by Bengali's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I love these sweet 'n tangy chutneys..quick, easy, hassle-free, and oh so yummy :) Odiya and Bengali cuisines have a lot in common, Poonam. This is exactly what reflects in their food. Totally in love with their food culture.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is Fermented Rice Healthy? How Do You Ferment Rice [Odisha's Pakhala Bhaat Recipe]

 What is the meaning Pakhala bhaat? Is Pakhala good for health? Is fermented rice healthy?  Or in other words, does curd rice have b12? These are some of the questions that have been asked every now and then. So in this video from the Odia cuisine, I present to you Odisha special Pakhala - the ancient Odia tradition of fermenting rice. Now coming back to making Pakhala at home. I dedicate this video to my mother-in-law, who has taught me some simple ways to ferment rice with and without curd.  The idea is to cook rice in water, primarily you will need to boil rice in a lot of water. Drain off excess water and let the rice come to room temperature. Then mix it with curd, salt, and water and store in an earthen clay pot. Since we want to ferment rice, the idea is to leave it overnight at room temperature - ideally in a cool location, which is not too hot.  By next morning, the rice should have fermented - teeming with colonies of healthy bacteria. If you use brown rice...

Is Tandoori roti good for health [NO, it Isn't But I eat soft oil-free wheat tandoori chapatis daily]

Tandoori roti is delicious and quite addictive too, but is it good for your health?Is there something called tandoori roti health risk? Yes and no.  Yes, if you order it outside.  What is tandoori roti made up of? The reason these Indian flatbreads have earned a bad reputation is that they are made with maida or refined flour, which is only empty calories. Then they use dalda or hydrogenated fat to make the roti soft. remember, tandoori roti is an addiction and I am addicted to it but one made at home with wholesome ingredients.  How to make tandoori roti at home At home, making quick tandoori roti on tawa is a breeze!   so here's how I do it to avoid all the health risks associated with restaurant tandoori roti. we can easily make soft atta tandoori roti on tawa too. yes, tandoor cooking is good but maida isn't.  start by adding water to a bowl. throw in methi powder and flaxmeal. You can skip both if you want. but I suggest adding the two ingredients in y...

Soaking turns pumpkin seeds water green | Is it SAFE?

 Pumpkin seeds cause water to develop a green tint mainly because they contain chlorophyll, the natural pigment that gives plants their green color. This phenomenon occurs through several interconnected processes that involve the seed's cellular structure and pigment composition. Raw pumpkin seeds, particularly the hulled green varieties commonly known as pepitas, contain significant amounts of chlorophyll. This is the same compound responsible for photosynthesis in plants and creates the distinctive green appearance in leaves, stems, and other plant tissues. The chlorophyll concentration in pumpkin seeds is naturally high since these seeds develop within the green interior of the pumpkin. When pumpkin seeds are soaked in water, their cellular walls begin to soften and break down gradually. This process allows water molecules to penetrate the seed structure and extract various compounds, including pigments. Although chlorophyll isn't completely water-soluble in its pure chemica...